16 Oct Do You Need To See A Podiatrist?
Foot Health Week 15–21 October 2018
Do you think you may need to see a podiatrist? Podiatrists are foot health experts who are university-trained to prevent, diagnose, treat and rehabilitate medical and surgical conditions of the feet and lower limbs. Often, these conditions stem from other underlying health issues such as diabetes, stress fractures and arthritis.
Here is a handy checklist that may help you determine if you need to see a podiatrist:
- Have painful feet?
- Experience leg pain?
- Have painful knees?
- Experience sore hips?
- Find walking or standing uncomfortable?
- Experience leg or foot pain during sport?
- Need advice on correct footwear?
- Have difficulty cutting your toenails?
- Have painful corns or callouses?
- Have balance issues or have recently had a fall?
If you answered ‘yes’ to one or more of the above, then you may need to see a podiatrist!
Experiencing Pain in your Feet or lower Limbs?
Are you experiencing pain your feet or lower limbs? This can provide clues to many related ailments throughout your body. What are the main causes of foot and lower limb pain?
- Heel pain (plantar fasciitis)
- Injuries – such as sprains, breaks and fractures
- Arthritis – inflammation of the joints and other tissues
- Tendonitis – inflammation of the tendon structures that attach to the bones of your feet (e.g. the Achilles which connects your calf muscle to your feet)
- Shin splints – refers to pain felt anywhere along the shinbone from the knee to the ankle
- Peripheral vascular disease – where blood flow is constricted
- Sever’s disease – is a common cause of heel pain, particularly in young and physically active people
- Deep vein thrombosis – a blood clot that forms in the veins of the leg
- Sciatica and radiculopathy – pain in the buttock and leg caused by pressure on nerves in the lower back
- Flat feet, corns, calluses, bunions or a range of other ailments
What is the best treatment?
No single treatment works for everyone, which is why it is so important to see a podiatrist who can tailor a treatment plan to specifically reflect your needs. Given the complexity of ailments affecting the feet and lower limbs, only your podiatrist can prescribe the treatment most suited to your needs. Most importantly, don’t self-diagnose pain treatment – please see a HealthPoint Podiatrist.
For bookings, visit www.healthpointmingara.com.au/podiatry or call 02 4314 0400.